Yagi et al. (2014, IJEES)
Yagi, M., Managi, S., Kaneko, S., 2014. “Water Use and Wastewater Discharge of Industrial Sector in China.” International Journal of Ecological Economics and Statistics 32 (1), 33–43.
Problem of water scarcity has been increasingly severe in China. Though industrial sectors play important role for the rapid economic growth, and they consumes water and discharge wastewater. The purpose of this study is to examine the efficiency of water use and wastewater discharge in comparison with those of other inputs and production output in Chinese industry. Measuring efficiency of each input and output factor from 2002 to 2008, we find the average inefficiencies of industrial water use and industrial wastewater discharge are higher than those of capital, labor, and production output in China. In addition, the productivity levels to save water in the water shortage areas are not higher compared to the others. The water use inefficiency has a high dispersion especially in the regions where the amounts of water resources per capita is less than 3000 cubic meter.
TOP page (日本語)
- Cai, X.M., and Ringler, C., 2007, “Balancing agriculture and environmental water needs in China: alternative scenarios and policy options”, Water Policy, Vol.9, pp. 95–108.
- Cooper, W.W., and Huang Z, Li S.X., Parker B.R., and Pastor J.T., 2007, “Efficiency aggregation with enhanced Russell measures in data envelopment analysis”, Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Vol.41(1), pp.1–21.
- European commission, 2010, Eurostat.
- Fan, H., Huang, H., and Zeng, T., 2006, “Impacts of anthropogenic activity on the recent evolution of the Huang (Yellow) River Delta”, Journal of Coastal Research, Vol.22, pp.919–29.
- Food and Agriculture Organization, 2002, “Aquastat”, Rome, Italy: Food and Agriculture Organization.
- Foster, S., Garduño, H., Evans, R., Olson, D., Tian, Y., Zhang, W., and Han, Z., 2004, “Quaternary aquifer of the North China Plain — Assessing and achieving groundwater resource sustainability”, Hydrogeology Journal, vol.12, pp.81–93.
- Fukuyama, H., and Weber, W.L., 2009, “A directional slacks-based measure of technical inefficiency”, Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Vol.43, pp.274–87.
- Han, Z.S., 2003, “Groundwater resources protection and aquifer recovery in China”, Environmental Geology, Vol.44, pp.106–11.
- Hu J.L., Wang, S.C., and Yeh, F.Y., 2006, “Total-factor water efficiency of regions in China”, Resources Policy, Vol.31, pp.217–30.
- Kenny, J.F., Barber, N.L., Hutson, S.S., Linsey, K.S., Lovelace, J.K., and Maupin, M.A., 2009, “Estimated use of water in the United States in 2005”, U.S. Geological Survey Circular 1344.
- Liu, C.M., and Xia, J., 2004, “Water problems and hydrological research in the Yellow River and the Huai and Hai River Basins of China”, Hydrological Processes, Vol.18, pp.2197–210.
- Liu, C.M., and Yu, J.J., 2001, “Groundwater exploitation and its impact on the environment in the North China Plain”, Water International, Vol.26, pp.265–72.
- Managi, S. and S. Kaneko (2009), “Chinese economic development and the environment”, Edward Elgar Publishing Limited.
- Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, Japan, Census of Manufactures 2001 and 2006.
- National Bureau of Statistics of P.R. China, China Statistical Yearbook 2002–2008, China Statistics Press.
- United Nations Statistics Division, 2010, UNdata, New York: United Nations.
- Xia, J., Zhang, L., Liu, C.M., and Yu, J.J., 2007, “Towards better water security in North China”, Water Resource Management, Vol.21, pp.233–47.
- Yang, H., and Abbaspour, K.C., 2007, “Analysis of wastewater reuse potential in Beijing”, Desalination, vol.212, pp.238–50.
- Yang, J., 2009, “China’s water scarcity”, Journal of Environmental Management, Vol.90, pp.3185–96.